Split blackjack: how do you know when to do it?
If you are used to games of black jack , you are aware that you have the possibility of taking several actions when it is your turn to play. One of these actions is the share , or in English, THE split of a pair . This strategy can be a big advantage if used at the right time. With this guide to blackjack, we want to explain to you which situations are ideal and which are not.
The principle of splitting in blackjack
According to the rule of blackjack, players have the option of splitting when their first 2 cards form a pair, that is, if they are identical. By doing a split, the player ends up with 2 identical hands, but they are now played separately.
Playing with a second hand will also double your initial bet The house will thus give you a new bet (a new token). So you play with two tokens and an additional new hand. If you get a total score of 21 points with one of your two new hands, it will not be counted as a "blackjack" because this 21 was not reached with the 2 initial cards.
Your win will be equal to your bet and not the usual 3 for 2 of blackjack. Note that you can start playing free blackjack to practice before doing it with your money.
The best split situations in blackjack
There is 3 cases in which a split can be interesting for the player.
- 🃏 Aces : these cards must always be split, no matter what the dealer has drawn on his side. This split greatly increases your chances of having a strong hand . The reasons are as follows:
- ♦ If you keep your hand with 2 Aces, it will have worth 12 points , because the first ace is worth 11 (we are talking about a soft) and the second 1. Only a 9 card will allow you to reach 21.
- ♦ If you decide to split your Aces, there is 4 chances you get a blackjack! All it takes is a 10 or a heads.
- 🃏 The 8 : according to experts, players can hardly to obtain a good hand with two 8 sets. Even if by splitting, your chances of winning are still not the best, you still have more possibilities for it to happen.
- ♦ Having a value of 16 in a hand is considered a weak hand. You have 60 %chance of burning your hand.
- ♦ If the pair is split, it will be impossible for one of the hands to go over 21. This therefore increases your chances of having a favorable hand in place.
- 🃏 The last situation will depend on the rules of the game you are on. If after a first split, you have new a pair , share it again. Generally, casinos allow a maximum of 3 splits. In the event that you do this, remember that your initial bet will be tripled.
Situations where you should not split in blackjack
Depending on the cards obtained, there are other situations in which you absolutely must not do a split! Situations where you already have a very good advantage. Here are our tips:
- 🃏 The 10 : Having a hand of two 10s is considered a strong hand and splitting them would be a rookie mistake.
- ♦ A hand with a pair of 10s has a value of 20. The value the closest blackjack. If you separate them, you will need an 11 to get to 21 and the odds of that happening are low.
- ♦ If you are an excellent card counter and you know how many 10s are left in the shoe and the dealer has a weak hand, maybe you can split your cards.
- 🃏 The 4 : the player will get 2 weak hands if he splits his hand. By keeping this pair, there is no chance that the hand will burn, as the value will never go above 19.
- 🃏 The 5 Stronger. burned .
Situations where it may be necessary to split in blackjack
In some situations, the action will depend on what the bank has as a card unlike the previous cases.
- 🃏 2, 3 or 7 : These pairs can be split if the dealer has an initial hand of 7 or less. If he has more , draw another card without hesitation. A number of experts still advise splitting a pair of 2s or 3s if the dealer has an 8.
- 🃏 The 6 : make a split when the dealer has a card between 2 and 6 . If the dealer has a weaker hand, you are mathematically more likely to win the trick. If you don't share it, it's unlikely to burn.
- 🃏 The 9 : if the dealer has a hand from 2 to 9 (except 7). Never shoot when your hand is worth 18 . The likelihood of your hand burning is high.
Conclusion on splitting in blackjack
As you have seen, you have to be very observer When we want to do splits. In some situations, it is very clear what action to take, but in other cases, don't hesitate to take a little more time to think.
The course of the game can completely change if the method is performed correctly. Don't forget to always closely observe what the dealer has in their hands. Using this strategy in an online or land-based casino can therefore increase the euros in your bankroll. By combining this strategy with card counting, for example, you can multiply your chances of winning.
Another action that is possible at a blackjack table, such as hitting (Hit in English) or taking insurance.
Want to know more about blackjack?
Read our other articles here: